Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Who Are You?

Who Are You?
Does the answer come easily?
Is it resting on your tongue ready to leap off?
Or is it elusive?
I'd love to know.

Who Am I?
I am a Dreamer.  A Romantic.
A Writer of Words and a Painter of Dreams.





... there are dreams of poems and stories yet unwritten ...
kisses yet unkissed, walks yet unwalked,
dreams yet to be captured by my paintbrush ...
and that's a marvelous thing ...
for, to me, what is a life without dreams?





I've mentioned before that as a child
my mother was told by one of my teachers:
"She is a dreamer ...
I catch her staring out of the window, far away in a dream."
That teacher was obviously not a dreamer
or she would have known ...





For a time as a child we lived on a pretty canal
that led to a beautiful lake.
If was the stuff of childhood dreams with
a weeping willow tree in the backyard
and a rowboat that I'd go out with my dad on.
I had a favorite spot at that house.
The backyard sloped down to the water
and there was an area by a grouping of trees
way over in the corner of the backyard
right by the water's edge
that I loved to tuck myself into
and listen to the sounds of the trickling water
and dream ...
I couldn't tell you today what I was dreaming of then ...
but I know even now that it was my happy place.









Today I find myself living in a house
with a deep backyard for dreaming.
As you enter this wonderland, there are scented flower gardens
that were there for years and years before I ever came.









... this house is on the water again ...
another perfect dreamland ...













Sometimes it seems that my dreams
are asking me to follow ...



... sometimes my dreams lead me to an obvious destination ...
"paint this" they whisper ...
"write these words down before you forget" they remind me ...
and when I "get it," it's as if the world
is filled with sparkle ...










But sometimes I get just a hint of where to follow ...
a thought that evaporates before I can grasp it ...
like a misty train on it's way to a destination unknown ...


... those dreams make me work for them ...
it's as if they're hiding behind a veil
waiting for me to find what I am meant to see ...





... it gives me a sense of deja vu ...
and it makes me squint my eyes
to see what I'm not seeing
and tilt my head to listen for what I'm not hearing ...
and when it finally appears,
it's usually filled with more sparkle
than the dreams that present ideas
so quickly.

If I could step back in time,
I'd tell that teacher of my childhood
that my childhood dreams were simply preparing me
for a career that requires
daily dreaming ...



 Sometimes these things are difficult to put into words
and when I mention these things to someone that is
not a dreamer, someone that is practical,
I know they can't hear what I say,
can't see what I see.

Tell me ...
are you a dreamer?


Till next time ...

XO ~ SANDY M

OOH LA FROU FROU
is the blog of illustrator
SANDY M

For custom illustration inquiries
contact Sandy at
artistsandym@gmail.com

The sources of these images
can be found in my Pinterest board
entitled Dreamy































5 comments:

Rowena @ rolala loves said...

What gorgeous imagery! I'm a dreamer as well which isn't always great as I find my mind tends to wander at times. I can't believe we're almost at the end of January. I hope the new year has been treating you well so far. I've missed your internet presence but it's good to know that work is keeping you so busy and I look forward to hearing about some of your projects. Stay warm dear Sandy!

Thanks as always for stopping by to see me and for your sweet birthday wishes.

Rowena @ rolala loves

Jennifer said...

Beautiful images and words Sandy!! I love when you takes us away on your dreams!! Your house is so lovely. I adore watching its transformation.

A Very Sweet Blog said...

so beautiful! for me the answer is not complete. still finding who I am. loved this Sandy.
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

Coco said...

I am a dreamer Sandy. I wouldn't be able to write it down or paint it beautifully as you do, but it's inside me. I see my daughter is a dreamer too, hope she keeps that secret garden where everything is possible. You are so special!
Love,
Coco
Coco et La vie en rose
Coco et La vie en rose on Bloglovin
Coco et La vie en rose on Facebook
International giveaway - Trendy staple for Spring2014

miss b said...

Beautiful dreamy imagery to accompany your post. You have certainly found the perfect career and the Steven Spielberg quote is ideal for you too. Have a great week.
http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk